What Is A Motion For Appropriate Relief?

Have you been convicted of a crime? There may have been defects in your original case, committed either by the police, judge, prosecution or possibly even by ineffective representation by your own lawyer. You may have pled guilty due to coaxing by an officer or other unqualified party. If you believe your case was improperly handled, there may be a second chance available by a "Motion for Appropriate Relief."

Over 25 Years Of Criminal Defense Experience

Christopher A. Connelly, has over 25 years of experience providing clients with effective representation when filing a Motion for Appropriate Relief. Attorney Chris Connelly

is certified as a Specialist in State Criminal Law by the North Carolina State Bar. He is a member of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice and the National College for DUI Defense, and he has over 25 years of experience in the criminal justice system. He personally manages every case at our firm, seeing that each client receives skilled and knowledgeable representation.

(Note that we may associate an attorney in another firm to assist with some cases. We also, of course, employ capable support staff who handle various administrative aspects of cases.)

You may not have to live with this conviction on your record. Get an experienced Charlotte traffic and criminal violations lawyer to represent you. Contact our Charlotte office to arrange a consultation.

Convictions on your record can affect your reputation, employment opportunities and personal relationships. If you were convicted of a DUI or serious driving offense, your insurance rates may have gone through the roof and now you can't afford them.

A "Motion for Appropriate Relief", or MAR, is when the court reopens a previous conviction and rehears the case. This is allowed only due to a defect or mistake in the original case. If the court allows the case to be reheard, the conviction can be vacated.

Defects include:

  • Pleading guilty without advice of an attorney
  • Improper advice by unqualified parties such as police officers, DMV or Court personnel
  • Your attorney at the time was ineffective

Motions for Appropriate Relief ("MAR") can be filed for criminal matters, including traffic violations and misdemeanors. For example, if you were convicted of a criminal offense and someone other than your attorney told you to plead guilty, that may be a defect that warrants a MAR. Attorney Connelly will aggressively advocate your MAR and fight for a vacated conviction.

Contact Us

Call 704-376-9376 or e-mail our Charlotte office to schedule a consultation with our Charlotte traffic and criminal violations attorney about a Motion for Appropriate Relief. We serve clients in courts throughout Mecklenburg County.

The Law Office of Christopher A. Connelly
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Criminal Defense Attorney

Reasonable Fees ▪ Payment Plans ▪ Credit Cards Accepted ▪ Se Habla Español

Near jail and courthouse